** Apologies for multiple postings… **
The ALA Core Cataloging Norms Interest Group is seeking proposals and invite you to submit them for the ALA Core IG Week 2023, March 6-10. The program will be held virtually on Friday, March 10, 2023 from 3:00-4:00 p.m. (EST) / 2:00-3:00 p.m. (CST)
The presentations should be 10-15 minutes long, with additional time for questions and discussion. The charge of the Cataloging Norms Interest Group is to offer a forum for the exploration, communication, and exchange of ideas on the dynamics and evolution of cataloging/metadata norms and workflows. We encourage and seek out participation from anyone with an interest in cataloging - from public, academic, school, or special libraries - regardless of experience level or training.
Theme: Cataloging/Metadata Norms and Workflows:
Possible topics could include but are not limited to:
• Cataloging and/or metadata and its related aspects in academic, public, special, or school libraries
• Balancing and accurately representing LGBTQ+ identities with vocabulary in cataloging. Promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in collections through cataloging and metadata
• Evolution, definition, and functions of the catalog and cataloging norms
• Emerging concepts and implementations of "next generation catalogs"
• Cataloging and metadata in hybrid and digital libraries
• Changes in catalogers' workflows
• BIBFRAME and linked data
• How end users' expectations and behaviors affect cataloging norms
• Exposing, display, and use of local data
• Catalogs and indexing databases, e.g. Indexing "Linky"-marc in the catalog
Please email proposals to Bela Gupta ([log in to unmask]) and Shuzhen Zhao ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, February 10, 2023.
The presenters will be notified of the Co-Chairs' decision by Monday, February 20, 2023.
Please include in your proposal the following details:
Name(s), affiliation(s), and title(s), email address(es) of the presenter(s)
Title and short summary (max. 250 words) of the presentation
Time required to present on the topic
We look forward to hearing from you!
Cataloging & Metadata Librarian
Division Head, Library Technical Services
Claire T. Carney Library
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
285 Old Westport Rd
Dartmouth, MA 02747
[log in to unmask]