Full Time (35 hours/week)
Start Date: September / October 2019
Contract Length: 24-30 months
Application Deadline: August 31st, 2019
Location: Remote (based anywhere in Europe)
Link to posting: http://pharosartresearch.org/project-manager
PHAROS, the International Consortium of Photo Archives, seeks a Project Manager for a 30-month pilot project (July 1, 2019 - December 31st 2021) to create a scholarly research platform that will bring together nearly 1.5 million images with accompanying documentation from five of the fourteen PHAROS member institutions using the ResearchSpace platform. It will serve as both a testing ground and model for the desired goal of PHAROS: to create a common platform for research on works of art in all media, through comprehensive consolidated access to photo archives.
In the first year of the project, external consultants will normalize and clean the data sets from participating institutions, map records to the CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model for ingesting into the ResearchSpace platform. In the second year of the project, the user interface of the platform will be refined and adjusted, together with a scalable search architecture, according to input from a user research committee.
The project manager will be the primary contact person for all consultants and will work closely with members of the pilot project institutions:
• Frick Art Reference Library; New York, USA
• I Tatti, the Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies; Florence, Italy
• Fondazione Federico Zeri; Bologna, Italy
• Bibliotheca Hertziana; Rome, Italy
• Bildarchiv Foto Marburg; Marburg, Germany
• Serve as the primary liaison between the Principal Investigator, the User Advisory Group Chair, Technical Architect, institutional stakeholders, and external contractors.
• Coordinate schedules and work for contractors, ensuring on-time delivery
• Identify and mitigate project risks
• Organize communication, including scheduling meetings
• Project reporting and close-out
• Assist in drafting specifications
• Review all work and verify that is meets specifications
• Create and maintain documentation throughout the project
• Disseminate results to the community
• Maintain project management software
• Other duties as assigned
• A Master's Degree or above in Art History, Computer Science, Library Science, Data Science or other fields relevant to Digital Humanities research.
• A background in Cultural Heritage Informatics
• Familiarity with one or more of the following: semantic web technologies; ontologies and metadata standards; web development
• The Project Manager must be physically based in Europe
• Fluency in English
• Experience in semantic web technologies and standards (RDF, SPARQL, OWL)
• Working knowledge of the CIDOC-CRM or related ontologies
• Previous work experience in academic institutions, with a strong preference to candidates who have worked with archival collections
• Linux Server management, Docker, IIIF Server management
• Previous experience in project management and project management software (Jira & Confluence)
• Version Control
Stipend range: $5000-$6250/month (gross), depending on qualifications and experience, plus travel allowance for consultations and meetings.
This position is funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to The Frick Collection, who will administer the funds. This incumbent will be hired as an independent contractor and will be expected to provide monthly invoices for services. The position is full-time (35 hours/week), with 25 days a year of vacation time, 13 holidays, and 12 days of sick leave.
Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, military status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other protected characteristic as established by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please apply using the link below by submitting a CV and cover letter (Google login required)
For inquiries please email pm(at)pharosartresearch.org