Digital Content/Publishing Associate (Learning & Knowledge Management Sr. Associate/Associate)
Inter-American Development Bank
Digital Content/Publishing Associate (Learning & Knowledge Management Sr.
Digital Content/Publishing Sr.Associate (Learning and Knowledge
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is now the main
source of multilateral financing for economic, social and institutional
development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants,
guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private
sectors of its borrowing member countries. The Knowledge and Learning
Department, through the Felipe Herrera Library, supports the dissemination of
IDB's knowledge products by disseminating publications through a set of
strategies that include OAI, metadata crosswalks, among others.
The Felipe Herrera Library seeks an energetic, hands-on, technically
proficient and creative web semantic technician to support an aggressive web
dissemination strategy for its repository documents. The position will
leverage existing technology to deploy tools and strategies that will
disseminate IDB's publications by applying semantic web solutions. The
successful candidate will be technically savvy, results-driven, self-
sufficient, resourceful, and a problem-solver.
• Participates actively in implementing dissemination strategies for
publications available via the IDB Open Access Repository.
• Provides input and technical support for the development of taxonomies and
• Applies technical concepts to effectively curate and perform quality control
of publications' metadata in the Repository.
• Adopts best practices in semantic web strategies, including linked data
components, web ontologies, and the like.
• Applies metadata for web search retrieval optimization by continuously
studying and building knowledge of user behavior (analyzing institutional
search logs, as well as social media and major search engine trends).
• Coordinates and supports the development and maintenance of effective
folksonomies and institutional taxonomies for visualization of publications.
• Designs and implements strategies for pushing out publications to the
Education: Master degree or equivalent ("Licenciado") in areas related to
computer and/or library and information sciences, or related disciplines .
Experience: A minimum of (3) years of professional experience developing and
implementing semantic web strategies, managing repositories, performing
metadata quality control, developing taxonomies/folksonomies, and the like.
International experience working in Latin America and the Caribbean Region is
Languages: Spoken and written proficiency in English and Spanish is required.
• Proven experience related to metadata management for disseminating digital
publications on the Web.
• Proficiency in web semantic components such as RDF and RDFS, SKOS, OWL,
URIs, XML, XHTML, and the like.
• Experience in metadata reuse across platforms and metadata scheme
• Experience in ontology management and development using Sempahore software.
• Demonstrated experience with XML-based standards such as Dublin Core and
• Demonstrated experience with MARC-XML and non-MARC metadata in a library
• Working knowledge of cataloging utilities, such as OCLC Connexion, local
integrated library systems, and digital repository systems/software (DSpace).
• Awareness of the latest trends in digital resource management.
• Working knowledge of current standards, such as AACR2, RDA, DACS, LC
classification, LCSH, FRBR/FRAD.
• Knowledge of OpenText is an asset.
1. Learning & Knowledge Management Systems, Technologies & Platforms
Designs, maintains, evaluates and improves learning and knowledge management
systems, technologies and platforms to provide users and producers with a rich
and continual flow of content.
2. Information Retrieval & Dissemination
Manages operation of information resources in a manner that is customer
focused and efficient and targeted on growth areas of IDB which require
increased knowledge and resources.
3. L&KM Project Management
Manages and delivers learning and knowledge management projects on time and
within scope and budget, with the most efficient and strategic use of
1. Client Focus and Management
Focuses efforts on achieving business results through understanding and
meeting internal and external client and stakeholder needs. Values the
importance of providing high-quality customer service, while balancing the
interests of the client and the IDB.
2. Innovation and Creativity
Generates innovative and creative solutions to problems that contribute to
organizational effectiveness. Tries different and novel ways of approaching
work to create added value in the services/products provided.
3. Knowledge Sharing
Actively develops and shares knowledge within and outside own business area.
Leverages expertise to improve organizational effectiveness and add value
within sphere of influence.
4. Collaboration and Influence
Encourages teamwork and cooperates with others to achieve mutually beneficial
results. Gains the support of others for own ideas and initiatives, regardless
of formal authority and organizational boundaries.
5. Critical Thinking and Judgment
Uses data, experience, and good judgment to make sound decisions and devise
effective solutions to problems. Assesses and manages risk in own work.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal
opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age,
education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual
orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-
descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Feb 19, 2014, 1:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Mar 19, 2014, 1:00:00 AM
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12935/