State University of New York at Oswego seeks a collaborative
librarian/teacher/scholar to join Penfield Library as Online
Instruction/Instructional Design Librarian. Working collaboratively with
faculty librarians dedicated to student learning, the individual in this
position will lead interdisciplinary initiatives to ensure a meaningful
library presence in online courses, at an institution where this delivery
option is expanding to include global programs. He/she will be responsible for
exploring the intersection of information literacy instruction, instructional
design and learning technologies; and for providing leadership in effective
teaching pedagogy. This is a 12-month tenure track position reporting to the
Coordinator of Library Instruction.
Review Date: Review of applications will begin January 10, 2013, and will
continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with rank and experience.
Date of Appointment: July 1, 2013
Description of Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position
* Identify the need for, and facilitate creation of, library initiatives to support online learning, including development of the Library's presence in the college's course management system.
* Facilitate the continued development of librarians as instructional partners in the student learning process. Develop expertise in online instruction and serve as a resource and workshop facilitator regarding pedagogy in face-to-face and online environments. Develop and share best practices for innovative teaching techniques and teaching information literacy across multimedia platforms.
* Serve as a core member of the Instruction Team, sharing in information literacy instruction and continuing improvement for the library instruction program.
* Oversee the creation and continued development of information literacy and critical thinking focused multimedia learning objects, including management of LibGuides resources.
* Collaborate extensively with a variety of teaching partners, including subject librarians, the Distance Learning Librarian, the Learning Technologies Librarian and college instructional designers and teaching faculty.
* Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments, with responsibility for subject specialized collection development and instruction.
* Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and electronic reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
* A Master's degree in Librarianship/Information Sciences from an ALA accredited program, currently held or expected no later than May 2013.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively use emerging library and teaching/learning technologies, and the ability to adapt quickly in a rapidly changing environment.
* Academic background, coursework or relevant experience in instructional design; and/or comparable teaching experience in a face-to-face or online classroom setting.
* Demonstrated knowledge and application of current educational pedagogy.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
* Previous work experience in an academic library setting.
* Master's degree in Instructional Design or Education, or comparable specialization.
* Experience with online course management systems.
* Experience with reference service and/or collection development.
To Apply: We accept online applications only. Submit a letter of application
addressing qualifications, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for
three current references electronically to
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring.
Description of Department: Penfield Library is an active partner in the
teaching and learning process, connecting members of the SUNY Oswego community
with meaningful resources, user-centered services and engaging spaces. The
professional staff includes 15 full-time librarians, several part-time adjunct
librarians and 15 full-time support staff. Additional information about
Penfield Library can be found at www.oswego.edu/library.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4023/