This position is responsible for coordinating, implementing, and supporting a variety of digital publishing initiatives involving Association members, peer organizations, and other collaborative partners and that benefit the work of religious and theological libraries and support expanded access to scholarship, collections, and other resources in religion and theology. These initiatives include the Atla Open Press, LibGuides, Omeka Exhibits for the Atla Digital Library, and other collaborative projects focused on the production, discovery, and access of publications and resources, including open educational resources, in religion and theology.
This position will primarily coordinate Atla’s open access publishing program, including managing and supporting the editorial workflows and providing final output production support for Atla Open Press’s monograph and journal publishing programs. This position also evaluates, implements, and optimizes platform feature sets to ensure consistency, functionality, and usability. The person in this role will develop documentation and training to support editor, author, and copyeditor usage of the publishing platforms as well as coordinate and ensure accurate delivery of publishing program data to third party discovery and access portals such as CrossRef and DOAJ. This position liaises with member editors, authors, copyeditors, and strategic partners to ensure that workflows are followed or are adapted as needed to ensure quality scholarly output and to support member engagement in digital publishing processes.
This position is a full-time exempt remote position. Occasional travel will be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage the publishing program workflow by providing training to editors, authors, copyeditors, and others who interact with the publishing program platforms, answering participant questions and managing expectations, monitoring the publication timelines to ensure timely delivery of content to Atla staff and contractors, and ensuring documentation and guidelines are current and accessible.
· Completion of layout and production of Atla Open Press publications utilizing Adobe InDesign and Illustrator in EPUB, PDF, and HTML formats as required.
· Evaluate and make recommendations on feature implementation and utilization of Atla Open Press’s open source publishing platforms, including development and support of workflows in XML / XLST or JSON, as well as support development of multi-modal scholarship forms, to ensure efficiency, consistency, and standardization across all platforms and publications.
· Support the implementation of the publishing program platforms during periods of software upgrades through communication with software developers, Atla IS staff, and users of the publishing program platforms and update workflows and documentation as needed to reflect changes brought about by upgrades.
· Work with curators of online exhibits to develop their content for display in Omeka, including providing content and copyediting support and assisting with verification of citations and rights clearance.
· Support marketing and outreach to potential editors, authors, readers, libraries, archives, and other content collectors and creators to create awareness, participation, authorship, citation, and participation in the digital publishing initiatives of the Association.
· Create documentation including guidelines, protocols, and best practices for the digital publishing programs.
· Maintain in-depth knowledge of publishing standards and best practices, library-oriented open-source platforms, established and emerging technologies, and both national and international projects and programs within the realm of library and open access publishing.
· Network, collaborate, and participate in organizations and groups regarding digital and open access publishing.
· Conduct periodic analyses of usage statistics of publishing program outputs and prepare reports to editorial boards.
· Participate actively in appropriate professional societies and report on outcomes and work processes developed at occasional professional conferences.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
· Bachelor's Degree (BA) from four-year college or university, or two to four years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Computer skills required: Microsoft Office software suite or equivalent, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator or other desktop publishing and design software
· Other skills required:
o Two to four years employment experience and/or training related to digital publishing and usage of open-source publishing software.
o Understanding of web technologies and workflows including HTML, CSS, XML/XLST or JSON, including web accessibility issues and best practices.
o Familiarity with trends and best practices in open access publishing.
o Experience working with editorial boards of scholarly publications.
o Experience designing workflows and/or coordinating projects.
o Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
o Excellent communication skills and dedication to collaborative team building across multiple institutions.
· MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited graduate school or equivalent degree.
· Degree in a field of theology or religion or 3-6 years working in a religious or theological higher education environment such as a theological or religious studies library.
· Experience working with the Public Knowledge Projects Open Journal Systems (OJS) and Open Monograph Publishing (OMP) platforms.
· Experience working with Omeka.
· Two years’ experience working in a library, cultural heritage organization, or affiliated educational, nonprofit, or professional organization.
· Experience with proofreading and copyediting.
· Reading, writing, or speaking skills in a second language.
Atla is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, age, disability, veteran, or military status, pregnancy, order of protection status, genetic information or other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Atla is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Cember Beeson, HR Generalist, at [log in to unmask] or +1.872.310.4249.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For more information about Atla, please visit our web site at: https://www.atla.com/
To apply please submit a cover letter, including contact information, a current resume or CV, and the names and contact information for three references to [log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/49713-digital-publishing-specialist