Are you looking for an exciting internship that will provide you with the
skills necessary to help you obtain full-time archival employment? If so, the
Newseum's Summer Archival Internship is for you!
The Newseum, a revolutionary 250,000-square-foot museum of news, offers
visitors an experience that blends five centuries of news history with up-to-
the-second technology and hands-on exhibits. At the Newseum, we pride
ourselves on creating up-to-the minute exhibits and actively collecting modern
and historic artifacts. As a Newseum intern you will work with our 35,000
piece historic print news collection at our state-of-the-art support center in
Internship hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals'
schedules. You will be a member of the small, dynamic Collections team and
will be able to make an enormous contribution to the work we do. This is a
wonderful opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes archival experience with one
of Washington, D.C.'s most popular museums!
Intern responsibilities will include assisting the Newseum Archivist with the
* Processing historic newspaper collections: re-housing, taking record shots, researching important news events, and cataloging newspapers in the newspaper database
* Identifying newspapers that need repair and conservation
* Retrieving and re-shelving archival materials, including the frequent handling and carrying of 20-40 lb. newspaper boxes
* Preparing newspapers for exhibition, depending upon exhibits schedule
* Candidates should be currently enrolled in or should have recently finished a museum-related, library science-related, or archival-related graduate or undergraduate program, with an interest in collections/archival work
* Excellent computer skills and accuracy in spelling and database entry
* Solid historical research skills and broad knowledge of, and interest in, U.S. and world history.
* The ability to frequently lift and carry 20-40 lb. boxes and lift, reach, and bend with ease.
* Must have dependable transportation to our Laurel, MD facility
Internships last for a minimum of 12 weeks and may be part or full time. This
unpaid internship position is for college credit or experience only.
Please email cover letter and resume to Kathyrn Wilmot at
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6775/