Digital Scholarship Librarian
Reporting to the Coordinator of Reference, Instruction, and Academic
Engagement, the Digital Scholarship Librarian will provide leadership for the
integration of digital tools, resources and methodologies with traditional
resources and approaches to research, teaching and
learning. The Digital Scholarship
Librarian will collaborate with members of the Library Administration and with
Coordinators of Library Services and will serve as a resource person for
faculty, students, and staff using digital scholarship tools and methods in
their research and teaching. The position will also serve as a liaison to one
or more academic departments.
Responsibilities & Duties
Information and Research Services
Provide leadership for library staff in interdisciplinary digital scholarship
initiatives in a wide array of subject areas, including but not limited to
digital humanities; building and managing born-digital or digitized content;
advocating for open access (OA); and identifying opportunities to support the
research and publication lifecycle.
Partner with colleagues and units within the Library, including liaison
librarians, Special Collections & Archives, and Digital Services to advance
the Library's contributions to faculty and student research projects and to
create strategies for collaboration, program planning, and support for
sustainable, interdisciplinary digital projects.
Stay abreast of emerging, innovative trends and technologies, standards,
publishing models, digital scholarship developments and related legislative
initiatives and evaluate their adaptation to improve the local environment.
Conduct environmental scans of academic departments in conjunction with
liaison librarians in order to identify current and emerging scholarly
projects for which digital tools and methodologies are appropriate.
Provide reference and research support in a variety of venues (e.g., in-
person, e-mail, instant message).
Teaching and Learning
Through face-to-face and virtual environments, provide outreach, education,
workshops, and promotion to the campus community about copyright/fair use,
authors' rights, Via (institutional repository), publishing, OA, and other
digital scholarship topics.
Initiate, build and nurture excellent relationships with a diverse community
within the university, as well as external partners, in support of digital
Participate in DePaul University initiatives and professional committees
related to digital scholarship initiatives.
Engage in reflective teaching through the use of instructional improvement
tools (e.g., peer evaluation or teaching portfolios) under the leadership of
the Coordinator of Reference, Instruction, and Academic Engagement.
Participate in the coordination and integration of online tools in support of
teaching, learning, and research.
Liaison Librarian Services
Serve as liaison librarian to one or more academic or co-curricular programs,
as assigned, including responsibilities for provision of information and
instructional services, collection management, and engagement with faculty,
staff, and students promoting library resources and services.
Maintain an awareness of best practices in academic librarianship, including
library outreach and marketing, through reading in the scholarly and
professional literature, participation in relevant conferences, workshops, and
professional development programs, and apply lessons learned to current needs
in the University Library.
Participate and represent the University Library in University, state,
regional, or national professional service activities.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program or a terminal degree in the
humanities or social sciences with relevant digital scholarship experience.
2 years of academic library experience, including at least one year of
reference service and/or library instruction.
Coursework or demonstrated knowledge and experience with research tools and
approaches in digital scholarship (e.g. digitization, text mining, data
visualization, mapping, image analysis, etc.).
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, students, subject
librarians, archivists, and IT specialists in order to advance digital
Strong understanding of current issues and technologies impacting digital
scholarship and new forms of publishing.
* Advanced degree in a humanities or social sciences discipline.
* Experience with text mining and analysis software.
* Experience with spatial data tools.
* Familiarity with digital publishing platforms (e.g., D-Space, Digital Commons, Omeka).
* Experience with grant writing.
* Familiarity with web-based instructional tools, e.g., LibGuides, software for the development of tutorials.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
* Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of users in individual and group settings.
* Strong commitment to user services and support.
* Excellent planning, project management, and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to adapt to a changing academic environment.
* Ability to work with diverse constituencies.
* Flexibility in managing time to meet deadlines as well as user needs.
* Knowledge of information technology resources, print information resources, and Web-based information resources required to provide excellent library services.
* Knowledge of MS Office, other routine information technology applications employed at the library or university level, and enterprise-level systems employed for the management of library collections or the provision of library services.
* Evidence of energy, creativity, initiative and commitment to professional growth.
* Must be able to spend extended periods standing. sitting, kneeling, crouching, and bending.
* Routinely lifting up to 25 pounds may also be required.
* Visual acuity, hand-eye coordination and motor skills sufficient to use a computer, copy machine and other office equipment are required.
A COVER LETTER IS MANDATORY FOR THIS POSITION.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/24760/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/