DevOps Engineer, Avalon Media System
Indiana University Bloomington
**DevOps Engineer, Avalon Media System**
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries - PAE3IT
Responsible for the technical design and implementation of a software as a
service (SaaS) hosting model for the [Avalon Media
System](http://avalonmediasystem.org) software system and for the technical
design and implementation of software installation and deployment
methodologies for locally-installed instances of Avalon.
Work will include technical evaluation of hosting options; design of a model
for deploying Avalon for multiple institutional users; development of system
monitoring tools to support problem alerts, usage reporting, and billing;
development of tools for rapid deployment of new Avalon instances; integration
of Avalon with various authentication and authorization providers; and
implementation of change management practices to ensure robust service levels
Works as part of the larger Avalon development team, which is distributed
between Indiana University and Northwestern University.
**Qualifications:** Review your qualifications prior to applying to ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Resume and cover letter required.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and three years of experience in Linux/Unix systems administration in a complex multi-server environment that includes programming of complex software systems using Java and/or Ruby. Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following: managing Apache web server software and Passenger or Tomcat web applications containers; application development and deployment best practices and ability to support related infrastructure such as continuous integration, monitoring, version control, automated builds, etc.; and virtual machine environments.
* Expert level knowledge of network and application security best practices.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal including a customer service orientation and ability to interact with a wide variety of diverse individuals and work as part of a cross-institutional team.
* Strong organizational and multitasking skills including ability to change priorities as project expands or project needs change; and creativity in identifying complex problems and finding solutions quickly and accurately.
* Possess a mental discipline in resolving software problems; and attention to detail in communicating technical issues and implementing solutions
Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the following: Puppet, Chef, or
other configuration management system; Amazon Web Services or other cloud
hosting environment; Docker containerized application deployment; Ruby on
Rails application development framework; Hydra and/or Fedora digital
repository platforms; library systems; audio and video streaming technologies;
development and/or administration of open source software; working in a
library or academic environment.
**Note: This position is initially funded for two years, with potential for renewal.**
[Avalon Media System](http://avalonmediasystem.org) is an open source software
system, co-developed by the Indiana University Libraries and Northwestern
University Library, which enables libraries and archives to more easily
provide online access to audio and video collections. Development of Avalon is
supported in part by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Applications accepted until September 10, 2015, or until position is filled.
Indiana University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or
identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.
This institution is also a provider of [ADA
To apply, please visit Jobs@IU at [https://jobs.iu.edu/joblisting/index.cfm?jl
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22478/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/