The University Libraries at The University of Akron seeks a creative, collaborative, dynamic and user-focused librarian to lead the new Electronic Services department. Reporting to the associate dean, the Head of Electronic Services will help develop a common vision by providing clear direction and priorities in the context of the Libraries' strategic directions, clarifying roles and responsibilities, fostering cross-departmental collaboration and promoting mutual understanding through effective communication. Successful candidates will be required to meet the University Libraries' criteria for promotion and tenure that include conducting research, teaching, participating on library and university committees, and serving in professional organizations.
All University Libraries leaders have the responsibility to:
* Cultivate a forward-looking, collaborative environment and set high user-centered service standards
* Provide leadership in long-range planning and transformational change
* Manage the evolution of the libraries' information resources to match the needs and behaviors of users and enhance and promote access to the libraries' print and digital collections
* Foster an environment of collegiality, respect, and teamwork that empowers library personnel to accomplish the goals of the organization
* Play a leadership role in library-wide policy-making and in the development and evaluation of services
* Represent The University of Akron in OhioLINK and contribute to other consortial activities
The successful candidate is expected to possess the knowledge and abilities necessary to fulfill the following responsibilities:
* Collaboratively formulates access and user-interface models for the functional areas of cataloging, systems, electronic resource management, and user interfaces
* Works to ensure that the organization, management, and skill levels of Electronic Services personnel evolve to meet new challenges, including innovative description and subject analysis, support of rapidly expanding digital collections, development of robust user interfaces, and contributions to consortial collaborations
* Directs the work of 5 faculty librarians and 7 staff who have responsibility for bibliographic services, managing electronic resources, maintaining and upgrading library systems and user-interfaces including the libraries' website, and installing and supporting public and staff computing equipment
* Inspires service innovation and the creative use of technology in technical processing operations and initiatives that enhance access to content
* Serves as an advocate and as a resource person for innovative tools and technologies that enhance access for users
* Masters degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program (or equivalent degree)
* Minimum of five years of progressively responsible management or supervisory experience in a large academic, or research library or comparable experience elsewhere
* Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
* Evidence of success in embracing and leading positive change
* Demonstrated team-building skills, including the ability to motivate, develop, and mentor others
* Evidence of leadership among library faculty and/or professionals
* Demonstrated commitment to innovative use of resources and emerging technologies as they contribute to meeting the needs of students, faculty, and researchers
* Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills and the demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in an ethnically and culturally diverse environment
* Demonstrated expertise with and proficient knowledge of integrated library systems and bibliographic utilities
* Demonstrated success in the efficient management of electronic resources, leading to clear, reliable user access to these resources
* An awareness and understanding of web applications and emerging technologies that enhance user access to information
* Substantive experience or expertise in one or more of the following: cataloging, metadata management, electronic resources management, user-interface development, or library system management
University and Community:
Akron is a metropolitan area of 500,000 people 30 miles south of Cleveland that combines the advantages of city life with easy access to Northeastern Ohio's many natural resources including the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The University of Akron (UA) (http://www.uakron.edu) is the third largest state assisted university in Ohio. UA is a distinctive campus in an urban environment, with more than 80 buildings on 218 acres. Our "New Landscape for Learning" program has added 30 acres of green space and 11 new buildings, including a Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Student Union, Honors Complex, classroom buildings and parking decks. UA's 10 academic colleges offer our 28,000+ students more than 300 undergraduate and master's degree programs and options, 17 doctoral degree programs, and 4 law degree programs.
The extensive collections and services of the University Libraries (UL) (http://www.uakron.edu/libraries/) support the broad range of academic
and scholarly interests reflected in the curriculum and research concentration of the University. UL is a founding member and active participant in OhioLINK, a consortium of 89 colleges and university libraries in Ohio and the State Library of Ohio. The UL includes Bierce Library, the main library located at the heart of campus, and the renovated and expanded Science and Technology Library located in the Auburn Science Center, and Archival Services located in downtown Akron. UL offers a welcoming state-of-the art work environment.
Salary, Benefits and Application:
This is a 12 month-tenure track appointment. Minimum salary: $63,000. Included is a generous standard benefits package with 22 days vacation and support for professional development.
Review of applications will begin November 1, and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should complete the online application at: http://www.uakron.edu/webforms/apply2HR.dot?rr=006306 and submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae documenting education and relevant experience, and the names and e-mail addresses of three professional references.