Director, NYU Shanghai Library
New York University is seeking a Library Director for its newest portal
campus, NYU Shanghai. NYU Shanghai is the first Sino-US
higher education joint venture to grant a degree that is accredited in the US
as well as in China. A research university with liberal arts and sciences at
its core, it resides in one of the world's great cities that is also a vibrant
intellectual community. NYU Shanghai will recruit scholars who are committed
to our global vision of transformative teaching and innovative research.
New York University has established itself as a Global Network University, a
site, organically connected network encompassing key global cities and idea
capitals. The network has three degree-granting campuses - New York, Shanghai,
and Abu Dhabi - complemented by 12 additional academic centers across five
continents. Faculty and students circulate within the network in pursuit of
common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors,
both local and global.
The Library of NYU Shanghai will deliver and coordinate a wide range of
academic services that support the teaching, learning and research of NYU
Shanghai's faculty and students. Drawing on the resources
of the libraries at NYU New York, the NYU Shanghai library provides an
opportunity to create a forward-looking 21st century library program and
facility to serve a culturally diverse and academically talented
population. NYU Shanghai is scheduled to open September
2013 with a class of 200 freshman and 150 visiting students, and is expected
to grow over eight years to a target undergraduate student population of 2400
along with selected graduate programs.
In consultation and consistent with the NYU library mission and programs, the
Director of the NYU Shanghai Library will provide senior leadership in 1)
establishing library services and programs that fully support NYU Shanghai's
academic and programmatic mission and 2) implementing and directing ongoing
operations of the library. The position
reports jointly to the Dean, Division of Libraries at NYU and the Provost, NYU
The position will direct the design and implementation of the library program
for NYU Shanghai, including program start-up and expansion, staff recruitment
and development, facilities requirements, development of joint services with
NYU New York, resource management for the library's budget, and development of
policies for all library operations and services. The
Director of the NYU Shanghai Library will work closely with colleagues in the
NYU Division of Libraries and at NYU Abu Dhabi to develop services that
optimize library staff and resources across the NYU
Libraries. The Director also works closely with the senior
staff of NYU Shanghai to plan and implement phased-in on-site
services. The incumbent will be based in Shanghai but may
spend substantial time in New York City as well as Shanghai during the initial
* Responsible for the planning, project management, coordination and implementation of library services and policies at NYU Shanghai in conjunction with NYU New York Division of Libraries counterparts, including the full range of collection development, technical services, public services, front end academic technology support services, library IT and digital library services, and facilities.
* Participate in NYU Shanghai campus and program planning and ongoing program development.
* Recruit, develop and manage an outstanding library staff, and provide direction for the continuing recruitment, selection, orientation, development, training and retention of library staff.
* Lead the effective and efficient ongoing operation of all aspects of library service on the NYU Shanghai campus consistent with the mission and service philosophy of NYU Shanghai and NYU New York
* Develop and manage the NYU Shanghai library budget in collaboration with NYU New York.
* Oversee the development of print and digital collections, including participation in joint institutional collection development, acquisitions and processing
* Develop productive relationships and collaborations with the Shanghai academic and research library community
* ALA-accredited MLS or ALA-recognized international equivalent.
* Minimum 7 years successful administrative experience and at least 5 years managing and/or supervising a department in an academic setting.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in implementing innovative user services and technologies in the library program.
* Demonstrated experience in assessment, planning and program development.
* Knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic library and information services, instructional/information technologies, and scholarly communication.
* Knowledge of developments in higher education that affect research libraries, scholarly process, and the University's core mission in teaching, learning and research.
* Ability to work with others in a team environment and communicate complex issues and perspectives to project team representatives across a global network.
* Demonstrated excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated flexibility to balance competing demands for project resources and multiple deadlines.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse staff and campus user communities in an academic setting and with a Chinese academic library community.
* Strong commitment to service excellence.
* Excellent Chinese language skills and familiarity with Chinese culture
* Second masters degree in a subject area relevant to the NYU Shanghai academic program
* Experience in a research university library
* College or university library start-up, renovation or construction experience
* Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
* Prior international experience
Excellent benefits include vacation package, relocation assistance and a
generous retirement package. Salary commensurate with experience.
To ensure consideration, send resume and letter of application, including the
name, address, and telephone number of three references to: Enrique Yanez,
Director of Human Resources, New York University Libraries, 70 Washington
Square South, New York, NY 10012 or via email to
[log in to unmask] Resumes will be considered until the
position is filled.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
NYU's Division of Libraries embraces diversity and is committed to attracting
qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.
Email [log in to unmask] to apply for this job.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5515/