SEARCH is currently seeking a Certified Archivist to join our Washington, DC,
team. This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position with a
competitive compensation and benefit package.
The archivist provides and leads comprehensive archival services and
consultation for our clients on a variety of projects, from archival facility
design, to management planning, policy writing, collection surveys and
description programs, effective and standards-based digitization programs, and
* Advanced degree in history, library/information science (ALA-accredited) with archives coursework, or related discipline;
* Member of the Academy of Certified Archivists;
* Three years' experience in archives and records management;
* Knowledge of archival standards for description and digital management (e.g., DACS, Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD), principals (e.g., original order, provenance), and trends (e.g., EAC-CPF, MPLP);
* Experience arranging, describing, maintaining, and providing access to archival records which may be complex and diverse (including highly technical documents, photographs in all formats, scrapbooks, ephemera, audio, moving imagery, and digitized and born-digital records);
* Knowledge of laws affecting archival operations, including laws regarding copyright, privacy, and state and federal freedom of information;
* Demonstrated organizational skills and successful supervision and project management experience;
* Ability to obtain and maintain Department of Defense Top Secret clearance;
* Ability to travel.
* Knowledge of conservation treatment procedures for paper, photographic materials, and books;
* Experience writing policy, procedure, or reports for all aspects of archival management, including accessioning, tracking, description, housing/rehousing, climate control, disaster planning, access, security, and legal compliance;
* Working knowledge of archival facility standards (e.g., NARA 1571) and disaster planning best practice;
* Experience with data management (e.g., MS Excel) and database design, construction, and maintenance (e.g., MS Access, FileMaker, SQL);
* Experience with markup languages and schema, including HTML and XML (e.g., EAD);
* Experience with archival research and knowledge of research methods;
* Previous experience in a federal government and/or military setting.
SEARCH provides our customers with a single source for integrated,
multidisciplinary cultural resources consulting services in the areas of
Archaeology, Maritime Archaeology, Architectural History, History, and Public
Interpretation. Since 1993, SEARCH has completed over 1,900 projects across
North America, Central America, West Indies, Oceana, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
SEARCH's staff of 70 work from 11 offices to service our various Government
and Commercial contracts in the Defense, Transportation, Energy, Engineering,
Forest/Land Conservation, Museum, and Development industries.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5615/