EBSCOhost databases and discovery technologies are the most-used, premium
online information resources for tens of thousands of institutions worldwide,
representing millions of end-users. EBSCO Discovery Service™ (EDS) creates a
unified, customized index of an institution's information resources, and an
easy, yet powerful means of accessing all of that content from a single search
box. The ability to create these custom solutions is achieved by harvesting
metadata from both internal (library) and external (database vendors) sources,
and creating a pre-indexed service of unprecedented size, speed, and
The Discovery Sales Engineer (DSE or a.k.a. Sales Engineer) is the primary
technical resource for the field sales force. The DSE is responsible for
actively driving and managing the technology evaluation stage of the sales
process, working in conjunction with the sales team as the key technical
advisor and product advocate. The DSE must be able to
articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical
The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in a
software, information, library sales support role and knowledge of
technology. The DSE must be comfortable in the dynamic
atmosphere of a technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base.
Must possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate
professionally in written responses to emails and RFIs/RFPs. Organized and
analytical, able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive
The individual in this position can work remotely and live anywhere in the
* Regional authoritative expert on technology aspects of platform functionality, markets, trends and flow feature information from the field into Product Management.
* Establish strong relationships with regional Sales and customer support teams, as well as existing and prospective customers.
* Create and manage Sales support tools
* Author and assist with documentation to support the regional pre-sales process
* Provide regular updates to Discovery Service Engineering management, keeping the flow of information and lines of communication open.
* Minimum three(3) years of progressive experience in Consulting, Product Management, Sales or related field.
* Minimum three(3) years of experience and excellence in presenting technology, Internet, or software application products to internal and external audiences and various levels of Management.
* Minimum 2 years experience with EBSCOhost products
* B.S. in computer science, library science, or a related field
* Fluency in written and spoken English
* Ability to travel approx. 50% within to regional and international locations
* Expertise in Integrated Library Systems (ILS) products and protocols (e.g. Z39.50, OpenURL, NCIP).
* Experience with institutional repository software and standards (e.g. OAI-PMH).
* Experience with portal software (e.g. VuFind, Sharepoint) and programming with Application Programming Interfaces (API) in a web application language (e.g. PHP, Ruby, Java, C#, ASP.Net).
* Proficiency in large data file analysis (e.g. MARC, XML) and manipulation.
* Ability to clearly and concisely communicate thoughts and ideas in person, over the telephone, and in written correspondence to small and large groups and to different management levels and departments within organizations.
* Experience and strong technology skills in a variety of Internet technologies, with an ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technology.
* Ability to multi-task and work independently is critical, while maintaining team involvement and meeting deadlines and deliverables. Extremely organized, detail oriented, and accurate; with strong problem solving and analytical skills.
* Previous experience with the interface usability habits of universities and research institutions' various types of users such as students, researchers, faculty, and librarians.
About EBSCO Publishing: What We Offer
EBSCO Publishing is a leading provider of research databases for public
libraries, colleges, universities, schools, hospitals, medical institutions,
corporations and government institutions worldwide. The EBSCO Publishing
Campus is located in Ipswich, Massachusetts along the banks of the Ipswich
River. We are just minutes from the MBTA train stop and we provide 75%
commuter rail reimbursement. EBSCO Publishing offers a competitive employee
benefits package including Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance, dental
insurance, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, and a
retirement savings & profit sharing plan. Considered one of the top places to
work in Massachusetts, EBSCO Publishing also offers a subsidized cafeteria,
free coffee, an on-site fitness center with classes, and tuition
About the Customer Satisfaction Department
When you join EBSCO Publishing as a Discovery Sales Engineer, you will
contribute your skills to the Customer Satisfaction Department in Ipswich,
MA. This department provides technical support,
relationship management and customer training. Other
professionals working in the Customer Satisfaction Department include
technical support representatives, customer account specialists, operations
support, training specialists, catalog specialists and more.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5830/