The Research Data Curation Services program is responsible for strategically
developing and building research data curation services in support of UC San
Diego's researchers' needs to manage, preserve, and provide access to their
Program activities include:
* Provision of Data Management Plan support services, in collaboration with the Library's Academic Liaison Services program.
* Design, development, and maintenance of the technical infrastructure needed to support research data curation and access services, in collaboration with the Library's Information Technology Services program, the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), and the UC Curation Center (UC3).
* Design, development, and maintenance of data curation processes, procedures, and policies.
* Establishment of effective and efficient data curation mechanisms to assist researchers.
* Creation of a framework for the effective and ongoing collaboration with the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), the campus Research Cyberinfrastructure (RCI) team, and the UC Curation Center (UC3).
Responsibilities of the Position
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Collection Services, the
Director, Research Data Curation Services, provides vision, leadership, and
management, and strategic planning for all programmatic, administrative, and
operational activities for the UC San Diego Library's Research Data Curation
Services program. This position is part of the Library's
Program Directors Group that works in close concert with senior management.
* In consultation with other library staff and the AUL, Collection Services, provide leadership in the development and implementation of the service program; initial emphasis will be on planning; research; identifying program objectives and scope; formulation of program goals, policies, and processes; identifying staffing, operational, and resource needs; and implementation.
* Identify strategies for understanding the evolving research data curation needs of UC San Diego's researchers.
* Plan and manage the development of the technical infrastructure in coordination with the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), the campus Research Cyberinfrastructure (RCI) team, and the UC Curation Center (UC3).
* Ensure cross-program coordination and management of staff involved in the implementation and delivery of research data curation services, in particular between this program and the Library's Academic Liaison Services and Information Technology Services programs.
* Lead and manage all staff allocated to research data curation services.
* Serve as a supervisor to academic and/or staff employees including hiring, evaluating, training, and developing direct and indirect reports.
* Perform staffing, budget and resource analysis
* Evolve and modify program scope, services, procedures, and practices consistent with the goals and mission of the Library and in response to program evaluation and assessment, changes in user needs, and changes in available resources
* Collaborate with other Library programs to fulfill the program's mission and carry out program activities, in particular, the Digital Library, Academic Liaisons, and Technology Services programs.
* Collaborate with other Library programs to help them fulfill their program mission and carry out program activities.
* Professional degree from a library school or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields related to library services.
* Ability to work effectively in a rapidly evolving environment with a high degree of ambiguity.
* Ability to provide effective leadership in a diverse and changing environment.
* Ability to operate effectively with a high level of independence and display a high degree of initiative in the delivery and implementation of strategies and priorities.
* Superior communication and interpersonal skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively.
* Strong organizational, analytical, persuasion/negotiation, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to build consensus and promote productive cooperation and teamwork.
* Supervisory or team leadership experience; skills to effectively direct, coach, and motivate staff.
* Excellent leadership and management skills; strong commitment to fostering growth and development of others.
* Ability and experience in leading a group of staff engaged in the development, implementation, maintenance and support of research data curation services.
* Broad knowledge of user-focused library technologies, services and tools and best practices in research data curation.
* Leadership in data curation support service, and researcher-focused technologies, services and tools.
* Experience in identifying information needs of researchers and in creating effective services to address them.
* Experience in operational and strategic planning for library resources and services.
* Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment.
* Experience managing budget lines.
* Librarians at UC San Diego are academic appointees and entitled to appropriate professional leave and all other perquisites granted to non-faculty academic personnel. UC San Diego librarians are expected to participate in library-wide and system-wide planning and governance and to be professionally active.
Salary: Salary and level of appointment in the Librarian
series commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on University
of California pay scales. This position has been designated
managerial/supervisory (excluded from bargaining unit) and is eligible for an
administrative stipend in addition to the base salary.
Closing Date: Application consideration begins March 8,
2013 and will continue until the position is filled.
To Apply: For full consideration, please submit
applications to https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply.
Please provide the following:
* A short application letter addressing your interest in leading this program and applicable qualifications
* A resume of education and relevant experience
* The names of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications and/or suitability for this position
* A personal statement summarizing your past or planned contributions to diversity; guidance for preparing diversity statements can be found at: http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp.
AA-EOE:UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong
institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5917/