Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails
Fixed duration, 1 year from date of hire
STARS Requisition number 20162BR
The Software Engineer will participate in a project, conducted in partnership
with Stanford University, to deploy an interoperable suite of data services
and online tools designed to allow sharing of annotations to digital images.
The Software Engineer will also develop applications in support of research
activity that makes use of Yale's digital cultural heritage collections.
The Yale Digital Collections Center (YDC2) at West Campus provides expertise
and facilities for the creation, management and use of digital cultural
heritage. Digital technologies provide opportunities to analyze, document and
study the collections of the University in ways never before possible. YDC2
services ensure that digital information about these collections is managed,
preserved and broadly accessible to the global community of researchers
exploring questions about our heritage.
1. Develops programs or systems of small to moderate size and complexity.
Modifies existing systems at all levels of difficulty.
2. Provides informational input into decisions concerning the development and
delivery of applications, programs and systems. Defines and analyzes
requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end user
needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
3. Analyzes, defines and designs new systems and applications. Writes code in
support of business solutions.
4. Responsible for the creation, definition, communication, and management of
project plans which includes architectural design, technology selection and
methodologies to apply.
5. Troubleshoots problems and provide ongoing maintenance and support for
applications and systems.
6. Prepares documentation, user manuals and develops formal proposals for new
systems and modifications to existing systems. Mentors technical staff and
provide training for end users.
7. Contributes in the development of policies or modifications to exiting
8. Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and
methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming
standards, procedures, and methodologies.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated proficiency in web development using
Ruby on Rails.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Proven ability with MySQL, SQL Server and/or NoSQL
Required Skill/Ability 3: Knowledge of Apache Solr, Lucene, or other full-text
Required Skill/Ability 4: Proven ability with Linux environment and basic
Required Skill/Ability 5: Excellent written and oral communication skills;
ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Java/J2EE development experience;
experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS EC2, S3, SQS, DynamoDB);Understanding
of RDF and linked data concepts;Experience with Hydra or Blacklight
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6489/