Manager, IT Infrastructure and Client Services
Library Information Technology
Yale University Library
Salary Grade: 25
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per
week); Standard Work Week (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in
New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston
and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural
resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory
theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of
Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world's leading research libraries,
collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich
and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual
growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and
scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum
of resources, including around 12.8 million volumes and information in all
media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic
databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to
its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including
the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library,
and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately
five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library
readers. For additional information on the Yale University
Library, please visit the Library's web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Under the supervision of the Library Chief Technology Officer, manages, and
monitors the design, development, implementation, and communication of
policies and practices for a sub-unit within the Library Information
Technology department that supports the Yale University Library.
* Responsible for maintaining a reliable and secure computing infrastructure for library staff and patrons, including network architecture, identity and access management. Identity and access management is a strategic initiative at both the University and Library levels. Coordinates with Yale ITS on computing infrastructure issues as needed, including serving on relevant architecture committees.
* Manages Library IT Support staff. Recruits, trains, and manages a team of support technicians responsible for delivering expert, efficient, and cordial computing support to the Library's staff, as well as some specialized patron systems. Library IT Client Services is a tier 1, 2, & 3 support organization focused on interacting with Library customers on a daily basis. We are the first point of contact for many IT services and our emphasis is on enhancing the productivity of our customers by providing service as reliably and efficiently as possible. Our primary objectives include providing great customer service and improving customer satisfaction.
* Designs and maintains the desktop, laptop, and mobile computing environment for the Library, including hardware, OS, and productivity software suites that will be supported.
* Designs and supports Library Audiovisual infrastructure and architecture. Enhancing this infrastructure is one of the Library's current strategic objectives.
* Manages a $375K+ equipment budget including a bi-annual equipment request cycle.
* Works on special projects as assigned by the CTO.
1. Leads, manages, and advises a team of technical experts on
all aspects of policies, practices, systems and procedures within the
2. Provides managerial and technical expertise regarding the
daily operations in one or more functional areas.
3. Manages and implements guidelines and systems and
recommends changes to maintain consistency with the mission of department
4. Manages and works extensively with staff to develop and
administer support plans.
5. Participates on project teams and act as a liaison with
other institutions, campus organizations, vendors, and committees.
6. Stays current with emerging technologies and makes
recommendations for adopting new technology in the library.
7. Responsible for scripting software releases to more than
one thousand library computers using VBScript, Active Directory and Tivoli
Endpoint Manager; deployment of software packages with BigFix Relevance
8. Manages client/server applications using shell scripting,
command line utilities, and batch files.
9. Works with all units to identify, analyze, and develop
approaches that successfully meet the goals and objectives of Yale University
Library and the University as a whole.
10. Defines and tracks service metrics and works with staff
to meet client needs and service standards.
11. Implements appropriate controls and quality assurance;
ensures adherence to the process, consistent and efficient trouble resolution,
error reduction, and continuous process improvement.
12. Manages the operating budget for their organizational
13. Recruits and trains technical staff.
14. Ensures compliance and timeliness of all Federal and
State regulatory requirements.
15. Manages a staff of non-exempt employees.
16. May perform other duties as assigned.
1. Reviews and determines staffing needs, job posting
requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for
exempt and non-exempt staff in one or more functional department of the
2. Manages the administrative support needs for exempt and
nonexempt staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and
assistance as needed.
3. Manages and monitors technology needs, conducts inventory,
and system requirements for the assigned departments.
4. Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and
financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the
5. Manages the use of facilities in one or more departments
including office space, workstations, equipment, and office supplies.
6. Manages administrative support for activities of one or
more departments to ensure timely completion of projects.
7. Manages and coordinates training sessions for assigned
departments when new policies or practices are adopted.
8. Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations
as they apply to the assigned departments.
9. Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies
for the assigned departments.
10. Assists in reviewing and implements University and
departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the
11. Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff
development and staffing levels.
12. Monitors, develops, plans, and executes systematic
research on user requirements through such mechanisms as surveys, interviews,
focus groups and competitive analysis.
13. Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
14. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field and six years of related
technical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and develop staff,
including technical areas. Demonstrated exceptional
customer service skills. Demonstrated ability to motivate
and mobilize a team around shared goals. Demonstrated
project management skills.
2. Advanced skills with contemporary
desktop computing technology, including Mac, Windows, Unix, and Mobile OS,
hardware and software applications.
3. In depth ability with Active Directory
and its components: implementing group policy, managing computers,
organizational units, users, groups, profiles, software management and
4. Comprehensive, expert-level
ability with desktop operating
5. Demonstrated ability with SQL databases
and administering SQL databases.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Management experience in a higher education environment.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of BigFix Relevance.
3. Experience with VBScript, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, and
Windows Software Development Kit
Preferred licenses or certifications:
ITIL Foundations, Service Now, Microsoft Certifications.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of
a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale
University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and
true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide
variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and
educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational
facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact
information of three professional references should be sent by creating an
account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate
consideration - the STARS req ID for this position is 21569BR Please be sure
to reference #21569BR in your cover letter.
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment
background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and
credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All
offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please
visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for
additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and
students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of
underrepresented minority groups.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8206/