Technical R&D Coordinator
Are you a specialist in the research fields of Semantics and Metadata, and
interested in the challenges of digital culture? Would you like to contribute
with your technical expertise to the R&D activities of Europeana? Then we
might have the right job for you.
Based in the National Library of the Netherlands in The Hague,
[Europeana](http://europeana.eu/) is a catalyst for change in cultural
heritage. We have been transformative in opening up data and access to
culture. Through Europeana today, anyone can explore 33 million digitised
books, paintings, films and other cultural objects.
Our small but well-connected R&D team facilitates research and
innovationcarried out in Europeana's vast network. Especially, we are
dedicated to make data work smarter, improving its quality and the way it is
shared in the culture sector and beyond.
The Technical R&D coordinator is a newly created position in our team,
reporting to the R&D manager next to our Data R&D coordinator and
Interoperability specialist. The ambition is to better orchestrate the
technical R&D activities in Europeana. You will advise and participate to a
variety of European projects together with a network of prestigious cultural
institutions, research organizations and creative industries from all over
Europe to provide new forms of access to culture. The work will also feature a
number of communication tasks.
_What will be the core responsibilities of this job?_
1. Research coordination & implementation
Participate to the development of Europeana's own services:
* Coordinate Europeana's strategy on publishing and using [Linked Open Data services](http://data.europeana.eu/)
* Coordinate the assessment state-of-the-art tools and methods for improving Europeana's portfolio and later advise their implementation by our Development team - specifically focusing on ["semantic enrichment"](http://pro.europeana.eu/web/network/europeana-tech/-/wiki/Main/Task+force+multilingual+semantic+enrichment) and annotations by users, but also touching on data storage, [validation](http://www.slideshare.net/antoineisaac/europeana-rdf-validation) and search
* Contribute to the specification of extensions to our [data model](http://pro.europeana.eu/edm-documentation)
* Contribute to the writing of technical documentation for data providers and re-users
* Advise our Data Ingestion team on the quality of incoming data
Contribute to these areas in the wider context of Europeana's network of
projects and strategic partners. Especially, the above themes may offer the
opportunity to participate the design and implementation of (co-developed) R&D
prototypes and [experiments](http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.2866).
2. Research communication, knowledge sharing and community development
Assist in scientific coordination of Europeana-related projects: review and
advise relevant technical output from partners (documents, software), for
example on metadata enrichment, vocabulary alignment or vocabulary services.
Coordination and contribution to relevant [community
rights/) and [task forces](http://pro.europeana.eu/network/task-
forces/overview#EuropeanaTech), especially in the context of the
[EuropeanaTech](http://pro.europeana.eu/europeana-tech/) R&D community.
Disseminate R&D results from Europeana and its network via
europeana/), [workshops](http://tpdl2013.upatras.gr/tut-edm.php), [blog
_What set of skills and knowledge should you bring?_
Our team is flexible, and we believe many smart and motivated people can
contribute. We will however pay special attention to:
* Computer science expertise (master's degree-level or higher): Semantic Web and Linked Data technology (RDF, RDFa, OWL, SKOS…), data modeling and ontologies, Information retrieval and extraction, machine learning and evaluation thereof.
* Experience with programming and basic data technology such as XML.
* Familiarity with the culture sector; experience with digital libraries and working with humanities and/or multilingual data is a strong advantage
* Ability to team up with remote partners and on tight deadlines
* A thirst for overseas collaboration, readiness to travel widely and regularly (up to once a month within Europe, once a year outside of Europe)
* Analytical skills, curiosity and eye for detail
* Balance between abstract thinking and pragmatism
* Very high level of written and spoken English (technical reports, research papers, presentations), other European languages welcome
_What are the benefits?_
Your monthly gross salary will be between EURO 2,636 - 3,804, in line with the
Collective Labour agreement for Research Institutes, scale 9 or 10 depending
on your experience and skills. Furthermore you will be entitled to 42 days
holiday per year, a holiday allowance (around 8%), an annual bonus (around
8%). Our location next to The Hague's central station is easily reachable from
many places in the Netherlands - many of us commute from Amsterdam or
_How to apply?_
Send us your CV with a covering letter outlining what interests you about this
position to [log in to unmask]
Please respond before 28 May 2014. Should you have any additional questions or
require more information before deciding to apply, please send us an email!
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14388/