** I sent this earlier today, but it didn't seem to go through, probably
due to the attachment. I've replaced the previously attached source code
with this online demo: http://codepen.io/troub/pen/VYYjxM/?editors=101
** You can just grab the JS part and save it as a .js file and call that
from your HTML (see below).
some example buried somewhere in the Google documentation universe). I
looked at it today and the attached code should work to get going with
the Calendar API v3 (.txt extension added to avoid getting flagged as
active code or something).
Like before, you'll need to have a couple of things in your HTML; divs
that get updated with the content:
<div id="calendarTitle" style="font-weight:bold">Loading Today's Hours....</div>
<div id="events"><i class="fa fa-refresh fa-spin"></i></div>
And the script source and a call to the Google Client API code:
You'll need to make sure you set up a project in the Google Developers
Console ( https://console.developers.google.com ) and enable the
Calendar API, then create a browser API key to use in the attached
script file (somehow the v2 code always worked for us without an actual
API key, if you were already using one you're halfway there). The .js
code has the whole bit included for OAuth 2.0 authentication (the
clientId and scopes variables, and all the "Auth" functions), which as I
was trying to work this all out seemed necessary at first, but then once
I got it all working I was able to shortcut past it. Make sure your
website address(es) are listed as allowed referers on your API key, too.
This is working for us now, and even though it took a while to work
through exactly what was expected from the API, the new code is much
simpler than the old, even with the OAuth stuff in there.
Director of Digital Initiatives and Technologies
Library and Information Services
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
[log in to unmask] /
On 11/18/2014 8:18 AM, Mary E. Hanlin wrote:
> Hi All,
> I know this has been covered a bit here, but I have a rather exigent conundrum, and I'm hoping to figure out the best/easiest solution. Yesterday, the script to hour library hours (on our front page) which pulls from Google calendar stopped working ("Error at line undefined in undefined[!]" - the exclamation point is mine; it seemed like it needed one.)
> Some constraints: 1. Our IT will not support php. We are an .NET shop with IIS servers. 2. We may not have the dough to pay for something like LibCal which seems to me the easiest solution. 3. I'm semi-new to this "Internets/webmaster" thing, and really only know front-end coding, so a solution involving something like .NET, Python, etc. would have to have, "How to make a peanut butter sandwich," kind of documentation.
> Right now, I've just manually coded our hours, which is fine until Saturday when our hours change, and I'm not here (hopefully). I will be super grateful for insight or knowledge.
> Mary Hanlin
> Electronic Resources and Web Librarian
> J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
> Email:[log in to unmask]