Linux Systems Administrator for Research, Education and Big Data
University of Illinois at Chicago
Apply your craft to support higher education and cutting-edge research!
Complete our energetic and diverse team supporting students and faculty at the
University of Illinois at Chicago and across the world.
Lead our Sys Admin team and mentor staff and graduate students. Design robust
and highly reliable infrastructure for terabytes of unique digital research
material. Looking for an enjoyable and rewarding work culture in the heart of
a great city? The UIC Library makes a difference in the lives of our students.
Apply at [https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-
As the Library's senior systems administrator, the Linux Systems Administrator
contributes to the overall development of the Library's web and digital
library infrastructure and will help plan, select, and implement technologies
to support the Library's goal of anytime anywhere access to UIC's scholarly
information. This person will lead the unit in providing
excellent customer service to UIC and University Library colleagues.
The Desktop and Server Administration Unit is part of the Information
Technology Division of the UIC University Library. The IT division supports
the student, library patron, and staff technology needs at five library
locations in Chicago (2 libraries), Peoria, Rockford, and Urbana.
* Lead the Desktop and Server Administration Unit and supervise the work of the Assistant Systems Administrator, graduate assistant(s), and / or student assistant(s). Provide technical leadership and mentoring.
* Deploy and maintain desktop computing systems in a mixed environment (Windows, Mac, Linux).
* Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve system issues with servers, networks, and storage.
* Lead software upgrade and hardware deployment projects.
* Maintain and monitor system access controls and maintain system security in accordance with University policies.
* Liaise with campus IT organizations and governance bodies.
* Maintain knowledge of new and emerging technologies and techniques to propose and recommend new methods to improve manageability and reliability.
* Install, patch, and maintain server, operating systems, services and application packages(e.g., Linux, Apache, MySQL, DSpace).
* **1. **Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
* **1.1 **progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
* **1.2 **college coursework in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
* **1.2.1 **60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one year
* **1.2.2 **90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two years
* **2. **Bachelor's Degree in a technology field (e.g., Computer Science; Computer Engineering)
* **3. **Demonstrated experience as a Linux Systems Administrator
Minimum salary: $65,000
See more and apply at [https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19064/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/