Digital Producer and Project Manager
University of California, Davis
The UC Davis Library is seeking a talented Technical Project Manager to guide
the development of its core digital collections platforms and to help steward
a portfolio of innovation and engagement projects.
At Davis, we're building a new kind of library that opens our vast collections
to the public via responsive applications, linked data and APIs, and is
centered on adventurous user engagement and crowdsourcing initiatives. The
right candidate will have the chance to work with mind-blowing material: wine
labels, manuscripts, archives, rare books, maps, A/V, and photography. You'll
have frequent contact/collaboration with experts from: libraries, the digital
humanities, top-ranked academic departments, and open source projects.
In concert with digital leadership, and with our expert community of curators,
librarians, and data specialists, the Project Manager will help advance the
_Label This_: a ground-breaking crowdsourcing transcription project that
utilizes historic wine labels to tell the story of wine in California and
across the world. You will meet the key wine making families of California as
we develop inventive ways to include their stories in the project.
Our main website, which is being redesigned to focus on users, linked data and
APIs, with an emphasis on the services users can obtain both from the Library
as well as the partnerships we make across campus with academic departments,
the bookstore, and academic technology;
Research portals into areas of current interest and high-stakes contemporary
research conducted across the Davis campus and beyond, including ecology,
climate change, autism, the drought, and wine;
Our growing digital collections: we have rare performance posters, Chinese
films, unique photographs of early California, and more, all waiting to be put
You will serve as a liaison between the IT systems group, digital product
developers, librarians, and other stakeholder groups. Your primary
responsibilities are to plan, track, communicate and deliver the projects to
which you are assigned. You'll manage efforts via project frameworks,
including Agile and traditional project management approaches. You will also
help to develop a process for transferring successful experiments and
incubated products into our library web platforms. The candidate must be able
to identify issues proactively, resolve conflicts, escalate if necessary, and
work across the organization to execute projects. Reports to the Director,
Specifically, the position will:
* Lead cross-functional teams in the development and successful completion of small through large-scale initiatives across the entire project lifecycle.
* Take an active leadership role in the project team and create an environment that fosters the prescribed project management methods, related processes and standards.
* Develop and teach a library-wide project management framework for project delivery.
* Ensure that all project team members understand and accept their roles and responsibilities.
* Coordinate participation of different technology and stakeholder groups in requirements gathering, specifications, design, development and implementation of key projects.
* Help estimate project resources and budget as well as manage costs.
* Develop and proactively manage project plans and strategy, scheduling, and identification of risks, contingency plans, and the allocation of available resources.
* Oversee the deliverables assigned to cross-functional teams, vendors and business resources.
* Analyze risk and mitigation, including establishing contingency plans and initiating corrective action as necessary. Identify, track, and remove impediments to project success.
* Facilitating change control.
* Review project requests and participate in the green-light process.
* Keep all stakeholders informed of status and issues.
* Track and report key project metrics.
* Skills must include a minimum of two years experience as a PM in a technology services / digital media company. PMI best practices knowledge and experience are required.
* Solid experience in managing customer facing applications and services (technical lead experience not required).
* Project-managed medium to large software development or customer-facing initiatives.
* Experience with Agile methodology and Scrum.
* Experience managing vendor relationships and projects involving vendor selection and implementation.
* Leadership skills and enthusiastic can-do attitude.
* Relationship building and partnership skills.
* Excellent communication, collaboration, and facilitation skills.
* Structured thinking and strong organizational skills.
* Excellent writing and presentation skills.
* Excellent project management and time management skills.
* Self-starter, requiring minimal supervision (but not afraid to call for help).
* Bachelor's Degree
PMI Certification is highly desirable.
Familiarity with digital library technologies and standards.
Experience common digital library content repository systems.
Familiarity with library metadata standards such as Dublin Core.
This is a renewable contract position, with full UC
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to the contact email.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/23935/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/