Ruby on Rails & Digital Library, Sr Programmer Analyst
University of Notre Dame
Reporting to the Co-Program Director of Digital Initiatives and Scholarship,
the Digital Library Technology unit of the Hesburgh Libraries is seeking an
experienced software developer to join our team. We create, refine, and
maintain a suite of applications that manage data and metadata in CurateND,
our digital repository service. CurateND provides content management, access
controls, discovery, security, and digital preservation of campus research
data and unique library collections.
This position will both support existing services and help develop new
capabilities including deposit and ingest workflows, data visualizations,
exhibit templates, content viewers for manuscripts and high-resolution images,
and GIS mapping and search utilities. Digital repository services is an area
with constantly shifting needs, and this individual must be well versed in
creating feature-rich applications and have an aptitude for mastering new
skills and technologies quickly.
The incumbent will contribute to the Hydra (http://hydraproject.org) open
source initiative. The Hesburgh Libraries is a partner alongside institutions
such as Stanford University, the University of Virginia, and the University of
Hull, that work together to create groundbreaking digital library
applications, tools, and services faster and more robust than we could create
on our own. DLT also enters into cross-departmental and cross-organizational
partnerships with groups like the Center for Research Computing (CRC), OIT,
University Archives, and research labs to support campus-wide research data
management and collection management efforts.
* Developing innovative front end applications to enable searching across research data and library collections; creating dynamic digital exhibits that automatically update as collections are updated; creating document, data, image, audio, and video viewers; orchestrating user workflows; applications to upload and manage digital versions of documents within library collections; and applications to input descriptive metadata that is then mapped to xml based schemas that feed into search engines.
* Working with other applications and digital library infrastructure developers, design front end solutions and orchestrate interactions with services including metadata management, digitization workflows, image transformation, etc.
* Act as second line resource for development of digital library infrastructure services
* Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent software development experience.
* 3+ years Ruby on Rails, Java, C++, or equivalent object-oriented language development experience
* 3+ years experience creating relational databases using Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, or other modern RDBMS.
* Experience developing web based user interfaces and/or applications
* Strong analytical, reasoning and problem resolution skills
* Ability to handle interpersonal communications tactfully and accurately with a diverse community of users and vendors;
* Ability to work independently and in close conjunction with others in a team-oriented setting;
* Ability to learn and master new skills and technologies quickly
* Experience developing against digital repository systems such as Hydra, Islandora, Fedora Commons, or DSpace
* Experience with search indexes such as Solr, Lucene, and ElasticSearch
* Experience developing user or automated workflows
* Experience extracting, parsing, and transforming metadata
* Experience designing and implementing APIs or middleware related services
* Experience with unit testing frameworks such as RSpec, cucumber, or JUnit
* Agile Development experience
* Experience with build, deploy, and version control tools such as Git, SVN, CVS, and/or Jenkins
* Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems administration, commands, utilities, and scripting.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/23955/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/