Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University
The [NCSU Libraries](https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/) invites applications and
nominations for the position of[ Associate Head, Digital Library
Initiatives.](http://go.ncsu.edu/o8ialb) The [Digital Library
Initiatives](http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/dli/projects) department develops and
delivers an information environment that significantly advances end-user
resource discovery and use of library services. Digital Library Initiatives
has produced a number of unique and widely used systems to improve service to
library users, including the [Suma](https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/reports/suma)
space assessment toolkit, the [Lentil](http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/reports/my-
huntlibrary) photographic social media archival collecting system, and the
[Quick Search](http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/reports/quicksearch) bento-box style
single search system. The department is currently developing new projects in
areas including library service and resource discovery, assessment and
analytics, data visualization, social media archives, research services,
application virtualization, visualization services, digital collections, and
support for digital research and scholarship. The Digital Library Initiatives
department maintains a culture of collaboration, with a focus on supporting
each other's professional growth and providing opportunities for mentorship.
The Associate Head leads teams that advance library services through applied
research and application development and oversees and manages the entire
lifecycle of projects, from requirements gathering to deployment. This
position reports to the Head of Digital Library Initiatives.
* Shares management responsibility for the department; supervises librarians, staff, and student workers; represents the department in the absence of the Head.
* Leads the evaluation of opportunities to develop new digital services.
* Leads teams in the planning, development, and Implementation of technical solutions.
* Oversees the professional development of technical staff.
* Participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
* NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
* ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree in library or information science.
* Supervisory experience; history of successful technical mentorship.
* Relevant professional experience applying systems analysis techniques to solving novel problems; ability to explore, evaluate, and incorporate emerging technologies.
* Server-side application development experience with one or more open source programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Ruby.
* Database development skills with systems such as MySQL and Solr.
* Familiarity with version control systems such as Git.
* Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably, orally and in writing.
* Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
* Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development.
* Experience developing and contributing to open-source software projects.
* Experience working In an academic library
**More Information:** [http://go.ncsu.edu/o8ialb](http://go.ncsu.edu/o8ialb)
NC State is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and
interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/26326/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/