Harvard has an opening for a short term contractor, from now through June 30, 2018.
In order to increase open access to Harvard Library resources, Library Technology Services has developed and deployed LibraryCloud, a metadata hub that provides web API access to information on over 20M library items. LibraryCloud exposes two APIs – an Item API, for searching the data, and a Collection API, for building and delivering named sets of items. Both APis are java/tomcat applications. The item API uses Apache SOLR as a search index for searching the metadata. The collection API uses MYSQL and solr. The contract is to enhance the two APIs. Data ingested into the Item API and returned from it are in a complex XML format named MODS.
Skills we seek:
1. Java server side development and deployment experience
2. Apache Solr experience (this is important)
3. Mysql experience
4. Deployment experience to servers, preferably AWS
5. XML processing experience
1. Groovy/grails (which is used for another API - the LibraryCloud OAI-PMH data provider API)
2. Data normalization
3. Lift and shift of a related application - some knowledge of apache, perl, python scripting
Please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if interested.