The Systems Librarian facilitates collaborative initiatives to support the PCOM Library’s collection management and access across 3 campuses. They are responsible for implementing, optimally maintaining, and enhancing web-based technologies and systems to provide innovative electronic resources via a discovery service, an integrated library system and the library’s website. Evaluation and usability efforts are also crucial transparency components as the position also collects metrics from a variety of tools, monitors them and distributes the aggregated results using a visualization tool. They optimize integration with about 10 third-party library providers including WordPress and Springshare applications. The ideal individual will grow and evolve with this opportunity especially if they have expressed commitment to continuous learning of systems librarianship and coupled with departmental support for professional development.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Responsible for front-end development and maintenance of the library website.
Assists in the ongoing design of the library website and ensures alignment with branding standards from the Office of Marketing and Communications.
Responsible for content delivery of the website.
Analyzes and understands web systems requirements in order to anticipate needed enhancements and ensure that the website is secure.
Recommends and implements platforms, methods, and best practices for the website.
Implement web technologies that will help the library pursue continuous improvement in the user experience, including accessibility.
Test updates in the staging site before updating the live website.
Implement website guidelines and procedures for Springshare and WordPress item creation, updates, and maintenance.
Updates all content with input and guidance from liaisons to ensure that information is correct and updated.
Maintains continuity of look and feel between the website and LibGuides.
Works with the Electronic Resources Librarian
to ensure that links are correct and up-to-date on the library website, all Springshare products and WordPress.
To ensure that electronic resources usage metrics are passed seamlessly captured in LibInsight.
Works with liaison librarians and public services staffWith regard to the operation of Springshare products.
Library Assessment - Usage & Metrics
Interpret usage and metrics across all platforms
Assure that proper google links are engaged and working 24/7
Harvest aggregate analytics from Website, EDS and Library views
Website – page visits, page views
Develop website checklist to ensure accuracy
Administer the checklist, working with library assistants
Develop a complementary usage reporting structure
Physical analytics – space, gate counts, encounters, etc.Integrate the software tools used from staff reporting through to harvesting, storage and visualization on the website, regularly
Electronic analytics – Ebsco Discovery ServicesIn conjunction with the Electronic Resources Librarian document process to routinely incorporate SUSHI or COUNTER5 results into the visualization tool.
OpenAthens (OA) – identity software
Generate overall usage of licensed products via campus, program and employee status.
Assist Information Technology Services in linking OA to single sign-on (SSO) library products as the functionality is made available
Assess, request and test new user categories and permission sets
Evaluate MyOpenAthens for future suitability to PCOM users
Assist with maintenance, system upgrades, modifications, and fixes on all remotely hosted products, (such as: OpenAthens, Voyager, ILLiad, REDCap and discovery resources).
Amazon Web Services point-of-contact for two third-party products remotely hosted
Point of contact with Information Technology Services department for library single sign-on (SSO) such as OpenAthens identity software
Participate in collaborative development projects
Troubleshoot e-access problems reported by patrons and other library staff.
Give input to library strategic planning
Active in one’s own professional development
Other duties as assigned
1. Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity and inclusion in all activities, responsibilities and interactions
2. MLIS from an ALA-accredited information science graduate program, or a Bachelor’s in computer science, with a combination of education and demonstrated experience related to this position.
3. Experience with web standards including user-centered and responsive web design
5. Knowledge of emerging technologies and trends.
6. Knowledge and understanding of issues and practices related to electronic information and resources.
7. Experience with OpenURL, DOI web standards, and counter 5 usage standards.
8. Detail-oriented and precise with strong critical appraisal skills that include evaluation, writing and analytics.
9. Excellent communications, interpersonal and situational awareness skills and the ability to work respectfully with others.
1. Experience managing Springshare products
2. Experience with Linux OS administration in a production environment or willingness to learn
3. Some experience in technical analysis, systems deployment or systems configuration
4. Experience working with WordPress
5. Experience working with an integrated library system, like Voyager.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/51079-systems-librarian