The Systems Programmer organizes and carries out activities related to: programming and development of key Library platforms including the website, institutional repository, and other customized applications. The incumbent is a liaison between the Library and the broader Carleton community. They perform other related duties.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• The education and experience requirements are a result of the complexity and scope of duties performed and the high level of accountability required. The work requires a thorough knowledge programming and application development—a high level of technical expertise in IT, which is a field of constant change.
• Must be highly independent, self-directed and have the ability to work with a high degree of accuracy. They must be able to develop plans and measure their effectiveness.
• Must also possess the ability to anticipate problems, develop and implement complex and innovative concepts, and pinpoint opportunities and resolutions.
The following knowledge and skills are also required:
• Software development experience, with strong expertise in developing Internet and web client and server applications (cross-browser / platform / devices);
• Experience working in source code management tools (e.g. Git, Subversion);
• Experience and familiarity with the open source community, philosophy and LAMP tools (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python/Perl), including familiarity with server-level user and operating system administration;
• Working knowledge of Databases and full-text indexing applications;
• Working knowledge of Accessible web layout and design (that meet and exceed WCAG, W3C, and AODA guidelines).
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• An Honours Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• Minimum of three years of experience in developing, launching, and administering software applications working in a diverse and complex IT environment.
• Preference would be given for candidates with professional IT work experience in a University or College.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/51112-library-systems-programmer