As ProQuest/UMI switched its delivery platform for Electronic Theses and dissertations(ETD), I have developed a small software package to process ETD. The software package does:
1. Unzip ProQuest/UMI ETD delivery Zipped files, and create one directory per ETD.
2. Rename these ETDs into other preferred file names (in my case, Wang_arizona_0009D_10075.xml à azu_etd_10075_sip1_m.xml)
3. Generate digital signature for digital preservation.
4. Create MARC records from ProQuest/UMI XML files. (i.e. a MRK file will be generated for direct loading to catalog. I use III innovative and Koha)
5. Create embargo notification and moving embargo ETDs to a different directory for future loading
This package saves me a lot of time to process hundreds of ETDs. The package (size of 50kb) has a Java compiled code (class file) and Perl Scripts. Currently I run it on Linux, but it can be run in Windows.
If anyone wants to have it or give it a try, please contact me.
p.s. I also have a package handling ProQuest old platform (BePress) ETD files.
The University of Arizona Libraries