Be a part of the team that defines the visual language of
Wikipedia! The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a UX
Designer to help design the interfaces of Wikipedia and its sister websites.
The UX Designer will work with engineers, product managers, and other
designers (e.g., Interaction Designers) to create interfaces that delight and
excite our users. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated
production experience for both web and mobile. The role best suits someone who
is self-motivated with a passion for information design and typography. You
will work with the Wikimedia design team to define the design language and
solve visual design problems for Wikipedia and related products.
Though this is primarily a visual design position, we will strongly favor
candidates with demonstrated experience in User Experience Design in addition
to the skills outlined below.
* Creating visually pleasing and delightful interface elements that excite our users.
* Design and produce icons and other UI elements for web and mobile
* Create a consistent look across Wikipedia and WMF projects. Develop a visual toolkit in collaboration with other designers
* Knowledge and ability to design across web and devices (e.g., mobile and tablet)
* Produce stylistic approaches that are culturally relevant to our community
* Consistently deliver visual design that balances aesthetics against function for our reader and editor community
1-3 years of UX design experience for web and/or mobile (new grads considered)
Portfolio showcasing your experience in designing desirable user interfaces
Experience in executing responsive/scalable user interface elements for web
Expertise in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
Understanding the capabilities and limitations of modern GUI technologies
Knowledge of HTML and an understanding of how visual compositions translate to
Excellent attention to detail
* Experience in contributing to Wikipedia as an editor is a big plus
* Demonstrated knowledge in iOS, Android, and mobile web design patterns
* BA/BS or MA/MS in graphic design, HCI, or closely related fields
**About the Wikimedia Foundation**
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Our commitment: Imagine a world in which
every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated
by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 482 million unique visitors per
month, making them the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore,
January 2012). Available in 282 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 21
million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than
100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations
and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the
operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 150 staff
members. Wikimedia works with local chapter organizations in 39 countries or
regions to advance the mission of the Wikimedia movement.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5337/