Are you tech savvy and passionate about culture? Do you understand how to turn
a cultural organisation into an API based business? Do you see the potential
of re-using cultural data in apps and web services and can you inspire others
to do the same? Would you like to travel across Europe and work in an English-
speaking international team? Then come and join Europeana.
Europeana is a catalyst for change for cultural heritage. We have been
transformative in opening up data and access to cultural heritage and now lead
the world in accessible digital culture that will fuel Europe's digital
economy. We ensure that every citizen, whether young or old, privileged or
deprived, can be a digital citizen. Through Europeana and its Network today,
anyone can explore 27 million digitised objects including books, paintings,
films and audio.
Our office is based in the National Library of Netherlands in The Hague. You
will work on a wide variety of European projects together with a network
cultural institutions and creative industries from all over Europe to provide
new forms of access to culture.
What will be the core responsibilities of this job?
As API Evangelist you will be responsible for:
* Building and nurturing a community of developers around our APIs and Linked Open Data Services, in particular in the creative industries, the software development community and the Open Culture communities
* Ensuring that the Europeana data is being re-used as widely as possible, for work, learning or pleasure
* Continuously improving our product lines, serving as the product owner of the Europeana API guiding and prioritising its development
* Coordinating the "Europeana Labs Network", a series of physical prototyping spaces and online tools allowing for the rapid iteration of applications reusing and remixing cultural heritage
* Coordinating the development of an online Lab space that presents the consoles, content browsers, app showcases and documentation that would be needed for a developer to engage with Europeana material
* Engaging in hackdays, conferences or meet-ups, speaking to promote Europeana data services
* Performing rapid prototyping to demonstrate feasibility of particular ideas and approaches
* Supporting the creation of business plans suitable for re-users of data and content, serving as a user advocate for the re-use community
What set of skills, knowledge and experience should you bring?
* A good understanding of the business of APIs and how it can shape the strategy of a data driven organization
* A background in development and experience in using APIs to deliver product is a plus together with
* Experience in designing and developing APIs for use by third-parties
A solid understanding of web services and data formats, including RESTful
APIs, JSON, RDFa
* A working knowledge of Java plus one other language such as Ruby, Python or PHP
* The ability to execute basic front end prototyping of your ideas in HTML/CSS
* iOS or Android development skills
* Ability to motivate people, communicate and engage with different stakeholders,/li>
* Fluent in English, both oral and written, including the ability to create readable and useful technical documentation
* Creativity and ability to work well under pressure
* A robust work experience of minimum of 5 years
* Previous experience in an international and complex environment
* Previous experience in the sector of cultural heritage
What are the benefits?
You will have a good basic salary, which is in line with the Collective Labour
agreement for Research Institutes Scale 10, depending on your experience and
skills. Your monthly gross salary will be between EURO 2,512-3,804.
Furthermore you will have: 42 days holiday per year, a holiday allowance
(around 8%) and an annual bonus (around 8%).
It's also important to know that we are based in the National Library of the
Netherlands in The Hague, close to Central Station.
How to apply?
Send us your CV (in English) with a covering letter outlining what interests
you about this position
to:[[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask])
Should you have any additional questions or require more information before
deciding to apply, please send us an email.
You should respond before July 7.
More about us
For more information see:
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8589/