The Senior Metadata Assistant provides cataloging for library resources
(except serials) that have metadata records supplied by libraries other than
the Library of Congress or selected OCLC member libraries. This position
supplies original metadata records and classification for works of fiction
without copy, certain variant editions, music materials, and digitized
resources. In addition, s/he provides library users discovery and access to
the Library collection by editing and upgrading minimal or inaccurate catalog
records regardless of the source, including supplying Library of Congress
classification and controlled headings from select vocabularies.
Other Skills Required
* Working knowledge of at least one modern Western language sufficient to perform and/or verify subject analysis.
* Working knowledge of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules II (AACR2), MARC formats, and Library of Congress classification and subject headings.
* Working knowledge of at least one metadata schema other than AACR2 or RDA.
* Positive record of working well with others.
* Effective and accurate oral and written communication skills in English.
* Ability to do precise, detailed work following specific instructions.
* Ability to work independently after initial training.
Other Skills Preferred
* Reading knowledge of two or more modern European languages. Specific subject background or field of study, such as Music.
* Experience working with the Sirsi Symphony integrated library system platform.
* Physical Demands
* Significant time is spent at a personal computer workstation keying in detailed information, up to 8 hours a day. May need to move loaded book carts.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8731/